Friday, April 06, 2007

Okinawa's the best!

Just back from a 5-day trip to Okinawa. What can I say? It's my favourite place in Japan! I've travelled all over the island - Hokkaido to Kyushu and then Okinawa - and that was the only place I felt I could live for a long time in Japan. The weather is good (well, not always),and while Honshu (mainland Japan) is still experiencing a climate between winter & spring (drats...it has dropped to winter temperatures again since I came back!!), it's already late spring/early summer in Okinawa. And winter there rarely drops below 15 degrees! That makes me so mad with envy! It's in my blood to crave warmth like vampires crave for blood! Okinawa's also way more laid back and the people there are warm, friendly and relaxed. Unlike their male counterparts in Honshu, the guys there actually look like men...haha! They're tanned and more masculine than those pale and lifeless looking or fake-tanned guys with thinly shaved eyebrows I often see here. And don't make me start about the beaches there....the water is so clear and beautiful with a mix of blue and green!!! I saw many interesting tropical fishes when I was snorkeling (my first experience) and though I was scared because of the strong waves, it was also magical being in the sea that sparkled brightly against the whitish blue sky.

Simply love Okinawa with its tropical vegetation (coconut trees, bougainvillea, and hibiscus)and fruits (they remind me of home), warm weather, beautiful beaches and friendly islanders....can't wait to go back again someday! I'll post the pictures on flickr soon when I have the time!

No comments: