Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Do a little good

Not really sure what I'm aiming to do here...perhaps it's just to bring attention to the plight of many Cambodian kids who are too poor to go to school and try to get people to do whatever they can - be it devoting your time or money - to help those who are in need. 

Myself ? I've decided to make monthly donations to this organisation - Baby Tree Projects so that the kids are able to get access to good health care and an education because every kid deserves it. The amount is nothing worth mentioning, but I guess it'll help to make a difference in some children's lives. 

Why now? The poverty problem in Cambodia definitely isn't a new revelation to me. So why did I only want to start helping now? Watching a feature programme on kids who have to work in the dumps was one of the triggers when I saw how a 14-year old girl is deprived of school because she has to support her family after her dad got ill. Her younger brothers & sister get to attend school, but being the eldest, she has to make the sacrifice. Owing to that, she cannot write her own name or count change when she goes to do her daily grocery shopping. When first asked what she dreams to be in the future, she said that such a dream didn't exist for her...

Of course the most important catalyst is the desire to help make a change. Feeling sad & sorry doesn't do anyone any good. I feel sad & sorry for people who are unfortunate easily, but what good does it do for anyone, other than me feeling a tinge of pride that I'm a sympathetic person? I don't think I can be proud of myself when I'm not lifting a finger to help someone in need. Making donations doesn't really even require any effort from me. 

Do a little good. That's what I'll try to work for for now. Do things with small steps & focus on the present.

No comments: