Tuesday, May 01, 2007

There is hope...

As luck would have it, I was called back for a 2nd interview with a translation/publishing company today. I wasn't very hopeful after the first interview because of certain things that the interviewer said and also because I wanted to kick myself after that for sounding like the most unconfident job candidate ever. I thought I didn't stand a chance, but I still accepted the trial to translate 2 Japanese ads into English.

And so I submitted the trial and didn't hear anything for about a week. During that period, together with the lack of response from other companies, I began to seriously doubt my abilities. I thought that I may not be able to realise my dream after all.

Even when I was contacted to go for the 2nd interview, I still wasn't confident, as there may be other competition. But there was something that I was really looking forward to and yet feared very much - the evaluation of my trial. And when I was told the result of it, my face was a mixture of pleasure, surprise and relief. It was something that I longed to hear, as it could dictate the fate of my future. I've always known that I want to translate someday. I've always been very serious when I do it for myself, out of interest. And I enjoy every minute of it. But I need a professional to tell me if I have the aptitude for it. And I could hardly believe it when the words finally reached my ears, though I must have been yearning to hear them for ages. My work was shown to an editor and was highly praised by him/her. I was told that I have a good linguistic sense. And nothing could make me happier than hearing that.

However, it's still not been decided whether I'd be hired or not. The salary that I asked for is higher than what they are offering. So, the company has to think about it before getting back to me. The interviewer told me to think positively, so I hope that the offer would be reasonable and I could possibly be one more step closer to my dream.

No comments: