Saturday, July 01, 2006

I'm more beautiful than a maiko! :p

I had many conversation tests with the 1,2 and 3 nensei these 2/3 weeks. Conducting them really tires one out! I remember how nervous I would be when I had my Japanese conversation tests in uni so I know how my students feel. In order to put them at ease, I tried to smile more to relax them, but it also made me extremely exhausted!

The 3 nensei had one minute to introduce their topic about Japan. And I would ask them questions in between to make it conversation like. Most of the topics were the same....Kyoto & sushi!! I got really tired of listening and having to ask questions about them. But there were a few interesting ones. My favourite was a topic on maiko. A maiko is an apprentice geisha. The boy, Yajima-kun, said he likes maiko because they're beautiful. But he thinks his English teacher is more beautiful. So I asked who's his English teacher (even though I already know. It's for the conversation test!!). He replied, "Cassie (the English name that the JTE uses for herself) & Cynthia". I asked him who does he think is more beautiful. He looked me in the eyes and said, "Cynthia" without a moment of hesitation. Haha....what a clever boy! He probably knew that it would earn him more marks. He was quite on the mark because he did get a high score from me! Although, it was because I thought he was good, not because I was flattered by his answer...heh!

No comments: