Sunday, December 03, 2006

Xmas Party for the kids!

It was one of my wishes to visit a children's home to spend time with the kids there. I can't imagine how hard it is for them to have no parents to care for and love them. I've visited a couple of old folks home and a place for handicapped children before (school community work). But truthfully, I always feel a little uncomfortable at such places because I'm filled with so much sadness and awkwardness. I don't know how I can help those people while I'm there. But it's different at a children's home because I can interact and play with the kids.

So together with some other JETs, we went to throw an early Xmas party for the kids at Kasahata; playing games & singing songs. The kids were at their happiest when they got their favourite treats: homemade cookies & candies!! There were two kids that I felt sad to leave. One was Risa, the little (six-year old) girl in the picture. I spent the first half of my time there sitting and colouring with her. She kept asking me to help her with things and even made me make her a paper bag to put her colourings in. :p And there was 2-year old Alexander (the half Japanese boy sitting on my lap), one of the sweetest things in the world!! When I noticed that nobody was playing with him, I went to sit with him. And once I started to carry him, he kept asking to be carried. When we had to leave, Risa came clinging to me. Alexander wanted to be carried too, so I had these 2 kids fighting each other and clinging on to me and boy were they heavy!! Alexander tugged at my heartstrings when he said that I can't leave because I'm holding him. Ahhh....! And Risa asked if I'd be coming again tomorrow. They are so adorable and it was hard to say goodbye to them at that time, although I was really tired by the end of the visit.

I promised the kids to go visit them again. I hope all of them stay healthy and happy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey I know you dont believe in the bible, but theres a phrase in Peter 4:10 "use whatever gifts god gives you to help others". Yours is the japanese language, and your interest in kids and I guess everything in your life up till now has led up to this point.

This piece is the most touching one you've written, and reminds me of that little girl that clung onto my leg and wouldnt let go. Jeez you even made me tear dammit!

dreams come true said...

Hi, hadn't heard from you for some time! Hope you're doing well. Thanks for your note. I do think that we should use whatever we have to help others. I want to spend time with those kids because I really enjoy it. But I don't know how much of a help I am, as I can't be a permanent figure in their lives. That kinda makes me sad.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the delay, just a bit occupied at work.. I am doing ok I guess, I now have a food blog on my site to show my mom that Ive been eating well and give her peace of mind. Just add "/food" to view, though you might get a bit hungry looking.
About not being much help, thats not the case, you are giving them the greatest thing one person can give to another, time, please go see them again. I just keep looking at Risa's eyes its just heartbreaking to know they are alone right now as I type this.

dreams come true said...

Hey, Happy New Year! I've looked at the food blog...it really would make people hungry! I'd probably go visit the kids again this week (since New Year is big in Japan) after I feel less tired from my recent trip.