Tuesday, December 06, 2005

What's my next step?

Before I go into that, I don't know why I'm still so tired. I can't even stand or sit straight. Keep slouching these few days. Probably I haven't been sleeping much lately too.

I was so free in school today. Dec is a really free month for AETs. I don't seem to be needed much this month. So I surfed the Internet to do some research. A talk with my AET friend the other day set me thinking on what I want to do after JET. I'm still pretty sure on the direction of my career path. But how should I work towards it? Right now, I'm probably only 1/4 way there. After 2 or3 years here, I'm thinking of doing a graduate program in interpreting/translating. There doesn't seem to be much here for non Japanese. So maybe England or Australia. If I were to do a program on Japanese language teaching, I would stay here. I wouldn't completely rule out being a Japanese teacher to foreigners. But that isn't my ultimate dream.

Australia is good because of the proximity to home and more financially feasible. Also, because I'm already familiar with the life there. I love Australia too..though I can't really say that about its people. I love the space, pace and weather in Oz. After surviving winter here, Oz's winter won't scare me anymore.

But England is more appealing because it's completely new to me. I love the challenge of moving to and adapting to life in a new country. Besides, I've never travelled to Europe.

Ah..such grand plans. But I wonder if they'll materialize. I shouldn't forget that I still have a loan to pay off. But then, I can only move forward since I've already been working hard for this path. Better start saving....after winter.

No comments: