Saturday, October 27, 2007

Home Sweet Home - with friends





As usual, nothing beats the comfort & familiarity of hanging out with old friends. Don't have to go through the hassle of getting to know the person & impressing anyone, as you know and they know all that is to know. Well, though, you've to spend some time filling in each other with the latest bits from each side.

But one thing I find hard doing is trying to get my family & friends to know what life is like for me on the other fence, without them. It's hard for anyone to understand unless they're in the same boat as you. I guess I could try if I am a good storyteller, but sadly not. Most of the time when people ask me how's life in Japan, I just keep repeating the same old things like, "oh, it's so hot or so cold", or "the new apartment is so small" blah blah blah. I can only really go into detail with someone who has been through the same situation as me. Just like the other night, I met up with one Singaporean ex-JET who has also moved to Tokyo for her new job for a meet-up. We went through the same hell & problems of finding a new job, apartment & the fear of having to leave our boyfriends here if we couldn't get a job. It was amazing that we went through the same emotions of going through those processes! It was like, "Did you ......too?", "Yeah! I felt ...." and "Yah, me too!". It felt quite good to laugh at those emotions now, now that they're over.

Hmm, I've detracted a lot. Just as I think that having new friends who share the same experiences as you is important, old friends are equally as important, or even more, as they are the anchor in your life that never goes away (unless you decide to dock somewhere else for good). They may not know exactly what you're feeling now, but they know what you're like. New friends are like other boats that go sailing on the same adventures with you, but eventually, they leave to go back to where they're from.

6 comments:

Nomad said...

know exactly what u mean... I felt like a broken record repeating the same thing to every well meaning frens who asked about my move to HK and sydney.. its not that you dun want to say much, sometimes i get tired of hearing myself repeating, and them not understanding the hassle and frustrations that comes with moving!! still, glad that things are working out nicely for you!

Anonymous said...

hi, omg, so sorry that i flooded ur tag board.... i keep acidentally pressing enter pad..

wld like to ask you abt the JET program. is it ok? cos i am thinking of apply it this yr, closing date is end of nov..

thanks a lot babe. :)

Anonymous said...

hi there, had included my email for you.

thanks a lot and hope to hear from you soon.

starfishdancing@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Cyn,

It's so true... that nobody will be able to understand how one feels being away from family and friends... Worse still... sometimes they say "You chose it didn't you". Damn it isnt' it?

Hope you are enjoying yourself still... Hope to be able to see ya in Singapore. I think we just keep missing each other each time we are back! Haha...

Cheers,
Eve

dreams come true said...

Hi Eve,

Gong Xi Fa Cai! How've you been?! I heard that you're in Cairns now. When are you going back for good? I don't know...but at least being in Cairns sounds better than being in Tokyo. :p It's so cold & busy here! :( I'm planning to go back for a holiday in Aug. So maybe we'll be able to meet then??

Anonymous said...

I just realised you replied... oops... You probably find that Cairns is better because you've studied in Australia before. Takes ages to get anything done here.

It's just not fun being in a country with no friends. I stay with my staff and I can't be sharing my problems with them. So I do spend alot of time on the phone.

I finally made a friend out of the company which is really a big bonus for me. I'm sure you know what I mean. :)