I was rounding off the P2s at the door to make sure none of them slipped away before saying, "Thank u Miss .... May I go to my class please?" when two boys called me. They pointed to Boy S.H. (he has such a cute face that'll make anyone's heart melt) who was crying and wiping his tears and snot on his sleeve. I rushed to him in alarm n asked the boys what happened. They pointed to his feet and explained that he was wearing shoes. I didn't even realised until they pointed out to me. The Japanese kids always have to take off their shoes n put them outside the shoe rack (which is outside every single classroom) b4 they can enter a classroom. Some wear shoes in but they're strictly for indoor use only. I guess S.H. must be crying either coz the boys n were mocking him or he was afraid of a scolding. Seriously, I don't care about that custom at all coz I wear my shoes into any classroom all the time. Almost all the English teachers do that except for the teacher next to me who's Japanese. He was crying in such a pitiful way that makes my heart go all the way out for him. I consoled him saying that it's ok and I don't mind at all many times but he just couldn't stop crying n burying his face in his sleeve. He was still crying when I sent them off at the door.
Is it really such a taboo to wear shoes in the classroom? I don't understand why the Japanese has to have indoor n outdoor shoes defined so clearly. I don't have to follow the custom here but unfortunately it's clearly stated that I have to follow when I'm in Japan.
Wednesday, June 29, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment