Sunday, September 24, 2006

Feel safe in a pair

Today was my second time attending the cuban salsa class at Urawa. I got to know about this class from someone I met at the class I go to at Omiya. I thought I would go to Urawa whenever I can (which hasn't been much yet) to get more practice. I tried the later intermediate class today as the the beginner class I attended before was too easy. There were only 4 people left at the intermediate class (not including the instructor & me) and we practiced rueda. It was really fun as one person shouts out different commands and you switch partners by going round in a circle. It also happened to be the rehearsal for the other four students as they have a show next week at Tokyo. While they were practicing their solo performances, I watched until I joined them in the pair work. As I was watching, I couldn't help but wish I could perform too. But thinking back to my days in the dance club at university, I thought I'd better not have that thought again.

It was the most stressful time for me when I had my rehearsals and finally the performance nights a few years ago. I had to dance hip hop in front of many people. Till today, I still amaze myself when I tell people that I performed hip hop in uni. Although I like it (like most kinds of dance except for disco dancing), it was seriously hard for me because my coordination is poor so I have to learn by doing enough till my body is used to the steps. Hip hop is just too fast for me to catch up. The only reason why I joined the performing dance club was because they didn't have salsa at uni.

Though what they did today wasn't hip hop, any individual work is difficult for me. I can't cope with too fast steps!! I still prefer pair work and love dancing with a partner. Although there are really fast moves in pair work too, I feel assured that I have a partner leading me. Hmm...I wonder what it says about me?!

No comments: