Sunday, September 17, 2006

It's the weekend!

It's always good to hang out with my friends from JET. It takes me away from the dull routine of work and the loneliness of being the only foreigner in my work environment. Today, we attended the bunkasai (cultural festival) at the high school that Michael teaches at. Many a times, I've wished that we can have 2 AETs in each school so that at least we can keep each other company. Though some of the staff at school are nice and chat with me once in a while, it feels different and can never go very deep because of language difficulties. I can't speak Japanese perfectly and they can hardly speak English. I've come to learn the real meaning of isolation now that I've finally experienced being the odd one out. Well, I'm not saying I'm the only one because most AETs have the same work situation. So it's fun to let loose when I'm hanging out with my friends. We're all foreigners and experience a similar work environment. I'm a little crazy (not wild :p) when I'm with them since I've the privilege of being a "gaijin" (slang for foreigner). Can't do that when I'm with the Japanese since I tend to be more Japanese around them.

No comments: