When you are in the land where everything is "Kawaii!!", you seem to become one yourself. I've had this said so many times to me, "Kawaii!" or "Kawaii ne!" by students, men & women alike. On average I get about one or two "Kawaii" every day (and that of course doesn't include the days I stay home unless I do that to myself in the mirror! haha). I have never met a race that is so quick and generous with their compliments. Another compliment that I get regularly is "Jouzu!" (you're good!), but I shall not dwell into that today.
I don't receive many compliments about my looks from non-Japanese, that I've realised. It's not like I've suddenly grown to become very pretty after coming to Japan, although the number of compliments I've gotten seem to suggest that. It's simply that the Japanese love to praise! When my students say I'm "kawaii", it's kind of sweet and I feel flattered that they look up to me or admire me. When Japanese men say that to me, I accept it graciously because who doesn't like admiration from the opposite sex? Though I must say that Japanese men are not shy about paying compliments the first time they meet you, which is kinda strange! But I'm really amused & baffled when women say that to me too! I'm sure many people know that women are more prone to jealousy and when you're with other women (no matter friends or foes), you can't help but compare yourself to them. So sometimes I'd feel a little uncomfortable when a group or pair of women say to each other that I'm kawaii. I'd wonder if they really mean it or hate me for that. I am maybe just being paranoid and thinking too much into a maybe genuine compliment. But I guess that's a culture difference that I'm not used to. Usually the same gender in my country don't lavish compliments on each other so openly!
I try not to let those compliments get to my head though because I know it is just part of Japanese culture. Though, the vain side of me might kind of miss them when I leave because I won't be able to hear such compliments often! hehe.
Monday, November 13, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment