Tuesday, October 18, 2005

What do I do with 35 big kids ALONE?

I had to conduct the English class with 2-3 by myself today. I didn't have to. The JTE had to go for a meeting outside and was planning to let them study by themselves. But she thought if I wanted to, I can do the class myself and play some English games with them. I was shocked at first but I wanted to try. So I agreed, but not without a lot of reservations. Lost a bit of sleep over that because the 2 nensei are the most difficult to handle.

So I walked into the rowdy class today trying to look confident and strict. Before I started the class, I told them "haughtily" in Japanese that I hate a rude and rowdy class so please behave! The class went well and the kids seemed to enjoy the games. As it was a break from their usual textbook based and too systematic English class, I guess they welcomed the change. In fact, they behaved better than when the JTE was around.

As much as the kids like games, the English education in Japan won't change much. It's still too grammar and exam focused. That's why many AETs like me aren't used as much as we hope to be used. I'm not complaining though. What's the point of being upset over something I can't change? I'll just go with the flow and try to enjoy whatever I can.

No comments: