Friday, June 02, 2006

Seeing Japan through different eyes

I've already lost the feeling of excitement & "freshness" of being in Japan. Bringing my family around today made me realize that acutely. My parents, especially, commented on this and that as they walked around my town and Tokyo. Everything is different and new to them. But nothing excites me anymore and I was like "Hmm...what's so interesting about that?". Hah. My mum loves talking about how good the weather is here now. To me, it's a little hot as spring was much cooler. But compared to Singapore, this is good. At least we didn't sweat at all while walking the whole day.

I expected that my parents won't like Japanese food that much. I'm pretty sure they'll get sick of it very soon. Although they really enjoyed the ramen in my town. I think the place that they were most excited about was the 100 yen shop! It was there that they could find stuff to buy for our home and their work place. My mum brings a calculator with her and is always coverting Japanese yen into Singapore dollars. I tell her not to bother because it'll make everything seem expensive, but she can't stop doing it.

I guess it's good for them to come here to experience my life here. They (including my sister) came to Melbourne too when I was studying there, but they came during my convocation and we all returned to Singapore after that. So it was a little different from now as I will still be in Japan for some time after they leave.

No comments: