Thursday, September 01, 2005

My career has finally started!

Naw, I can't really call this a career. The job here is really too easy to call it a career. But anyway....the first day of school began for me at S****** Junior High School - my first school. 3 more schools to go for the rest of my contract year. Had to be earlier than usual today 8.10 a.m and I was cycling as fast as I could. Trust me, it's hard for me to be punctual for anything! I'm in big trouble especially when I'm a teacher and in JAPAN. Anyway, I wasn't late.

The first day of each school term would begin with an opening ceremony. Pretty long and formal. So many speeches and announcements plus the singing of the national anthem and school song. And of course, my self introduction - the new AET (Assistant English Teacher). So I made a short speech in English first (got no response when I said "Good morning" and had to say it again) and a longer one in Japanese. Think no one was expecting me to make a long speech in Japanese so one of the Japanese Teachers of English (JTE) hurried to explain after my speech that I majored in Japanese studies and mindfully warned the students ONLY to speak to me in English during class.

No classes for me to teach today so I spent the day preparing for my self introduction classes, talking and joking with the other Japanese teachers and the principal. He's so cute n funny! The first time he saw me, he came up to ask," U....American Chinese??". All in all it was a pleasant day. But I really have to know how to keep myself entertained coz there will be long periods when I don't have much to do. The lesson plans are all done by the JTEs.

No comments: