Sunday, September 25, 2005

Salsa in 六本木 (Roppongi)


I'm addicted to salsa! Have to check out the salsa scene whichever country I'm in. Did salsa for about 1/2 a year in Singapore but had to stop because of overseas studies. Did do a little salsa in Melbourne but it wasn't regular. And the steps I learnt in Melb isn't the cuban style that I learnt and preferred.

Unfortunately can't find any schools that do salsa in Saitama. Only latin dance schools with mostly middle aged women. Went for one class, which was good exercise but it lacked the energy and electrifying vibes of a salsa class! But glad that I found it in Roppongi, although it's far from my place!!! Almost 2 hrs one way by train... :( Heard that Roppongi has a vibrant salsa culture..lots of salsa clubs. Ooohh. Anyway, went to check out this school on Fri as they have a trial salsa class for 30 mins. Salsa class just has a different atmosphere from other dance classes. I've been to funk, jazz, and latin classes. People are more serious there and it's intimidating especially when I'm a slow learner! In salsa, people look so happy and more relaxed. Perhaps it's the music or the dance moves that does that to people. Please try salsa at least once if u haven't tried! It's just incredibly fun! Guess I may have to spend my weekends travelling to Roppongi for classes. The commuting sucks but I'll forget about it once I start dancing.

No comments: