Friday, April 07, 2006

Kyoto in spring


I'm still in the midst of editing my photos. Here are just a few from my 5 days at Kyoto, Nara & Osaka. Captioning them will be the toughest because I've confused myself with all the temples & shrines I visited! There are just too many so I'll have to do some research & look back to our itinerary and brochures collected at the entrance.

It was a tiring trip because of the long overnight bus rides to & fro Kyoto and lots of walking. It's a good thing I love to walk under nice weather (it wasn't too cold at Kansai). But by the end of each day, we became so exhausted.

From this trip, Rebekah realised that she loves open spaces. And I think she enjoyed traditional Japanese culture & history more than me. I'm more into its popular culture. On the fourth day, I got so sick of visiting temples that I wanted to do something more urban like karaoke & shopping! Not to say that I don't love nature and temples, but I just needed a balance. And I realised that the Japanese landscape & art doesn't strike a chord with me even though I find them beautiful. Rather, Western landscape & art fascinates me more.

Hah..I guess I won't be living in Japan permanently. Japan will always be special to me because I know its language. But I'm always enthusiastic about learning a foreign language. After coming back from this trip, I'm considering picking up my French again or learning Spanish. I should learn how to speak an European or Latin American language since I already speak two Asian languages. With that, it might open new doors to where I could live or work in the near future. Hmm..a thought that's really well worth considering.

No comments: