Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Krispy Kreme

Under the influence of my Canadian & American friends, I was made to believe that Krispy Kreme has the best donuts on earth. Even though I'm not really a donut person, I was very tempted to try the donut that my friends made it sound like heaven. They were all raving about it and lamenting why there wasn't any franchise in Japan. Well, someone must have heard their laments from a long way because a branch recently opened in Shinjuku. According to my friends who have already ventured their way down just for a taste, they couldn't even get close to the shop because of the queue! The police were also summoned to maintain order there. Hah...it's ridiculous because I'm no longer impressed by Krispy Kreme.

I had the "honour" of savouring it when I was holidaying in Australia. You can imagine my absolute glee when I heard that there are a few branches in Melbourne as I've heard so much about it. And when we were shopping at Chatstone, the store jumped out at me the minute I arrived. During our tea break, we went and I ordered the much talked about "original glazed donut" and expected it to melt in my mouth immediately. It was such a disappointment when it reached my mouth because it tasted so ordinary!!!! Huh, I thought my Canadian & American friends are crazy to rave over such an ordinary junk food!

So when I returned to Japan & told April (who's American) about it, she defended the donut & insisted that I have to eat it straight from the oven. Well...perhaps and if I ever pass by the store when I'm at Shinjuku, I might give it a second try. But not if there's still a long queue!

1 comment:

Nomad said...

only the americans appreciate it i think. my american colleague was raving abt it and i got it from HK and i didnt like it, i find it tooo sweet and nothing special!