

As I'd promised, I went to visit the kids at the Children's Home today. As AJET only organises three events at the Home a year, I thought it would be better if I could go over once a month, which was why I went by myself. I was a little disappointed at first when I was told that Alexander is still with his family and won't be back until tomorrow.
Going by myself, I couldn't organise games or songs like we did at the Christmas party. Besides bringing candies from Australia, I just played with some of the kids. Kids that I've met before: Risa & Kiyomi and some others that I met for the first time today. After talking to the owner of the Home, I found out that most of the kids have families, but because of various problems they are left under the care of the Home. I found it really sad, especially after I was invited to one of the dorms by Risa. The name of her dorm is "Ringo" (Apple). I went in during their tea break and the girls inside were all snacking and welcomed me readily with their snacks. I guess most of the candies and tidbits they were eating were gifts from visitors. During the time I was there, the kids snacked continuously without any discipline. I understand that all kids love goodies, but if they were properly raised, they wouldn't be allowed to snack every day on such unhealthy food. It made me feel guilty that I brought them candies too and I so wish that they could be with their families to have their needs looked after more carefully.
I still don't know what help I'm giving by visiting the kids. I do know that they are starved for attention because the kids would hold on to me and fight for my attention when I'm there. But at the end of the day when I have to go, I'm nothing more than a mere visitor to them. Although, the expression - the look of exhilaration & sound of childish laughter - that I saw on Risa today (especially when we were playing see-saw) was so beautiful that I just want to see more of it. I wonder if I'm there really for their benefit or my own...
4 comments:
Hey happynewyear, here I am doing work and remembering to read your blog at like 2.26am...I need to get a life (I cancelled a christmas trip to Shanghai cos of gastroentenitis induced by stress)
Anyway great that you visited the kids, I was a bit saddened to hear that they actually have families that abandon them at this home? are the families you refer to, a foster family or real blood relatives?
Also something I thought might be better that bringing them candy would be maybe to print out a photo that you took with them and give them it as a memento like you did with those primary schools kids (2 years back?)
Hey, yeah..sounds like you need a break! Health is more important. Anyway, the kids have their real parents or parent, not foster ones. I find that very distressing too. Haa..things with significance like photos, which may mean a lot to adults, don't work with kids. I've tried that! Risa already lost the Xmas card that I made & sent to her. They only appreciate things that they have of use now! :p
Its been donkeys years since I was kid, but if I think back, all i ever cared about back then was being able to ride my bike, watch A-Team on TV, and getting sweets!
So yeah your observation on what they appreciate is dead on!
Can you take photos of their home, and the size of the
....playground as it would be interesting to see what this home looks like
Im too sleepy
Post a Comment