Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Spending New Year with Japanese friends


It really doesn't feel like a New Year unless you've counted down to it. Well, at least that is how it feels to me. 2007 still hasn't registered in me yet. I think I'm still stuck in the old year mode.

I spent the 2nd day of the new year with some members from my salsa class. Aya and I met in the afternoon for a little shopping and tea before we headed to Natsu-kun's place for a nabe (steamboat) party. Jan 2nd is when you have the BIG SALE in Japan. And I mean BIG because it was crazy in all the department stores! They also have so called "Happy Bags" at different prices and you won't know what you get until you open them. If you're lucky, you might get something really good. But you have to be the early birds, no doubt. The sales girls were all shouting and screaming out their discounts and specials in their high-pitched voices that quite got on my nerves. Aya and I gave up shopping after a short while because of the crowd, noise, mess and not to mention heat (it's really hot shopping in your winter wear in the warmly heated stores with so many people).

We celebrated Natsu-kun's birthday too after the nabe as he's a Jan 1st baby! I was pretty shocked when I first found out his age. I thought he's still a university student. Hah...I'm not the only one who always gets mistaken for a student. It was quite nice hanging out with them. Though I have to admit that it's hard too when they talk among themselves. I don't really understand them and their jokes sometimes...especially when I'm tired because I can't be bothered to keep up with them. It can't be helped though because after all I come from a different culture and speak a different native language.

No comments: