Feeling miserable from my cold, I decided to make some herbal soup the other day to warm myself. Before you start thinking what an accomplished cook I am (am not!!), it's really quite simple and that's the only herbal soup I know unless it comes in pre-packed satchets! haha. As I was eating in front of my computer (yeah, bad habit...not that I usually do stuff on it while I eat), I thought I should just check on what stuff is being said about red dates & longans, not that I don't already know a little. And as you know, one link always leads to another and I think I've got a pretty good find. The solution it seems to many of our health problems lies in TCM. Not that I'm going to start buying many herbs and concocting bitter medicine for myself...I'm in Japan and so far I've never seen any Chinese medicinal halls! Even if there are, I don't think I can be bothered.
But what's cool about TCM is that I found information on dietary advice in each season and body constitution. Eating different foods in each season is definitely new to me as Singapore only has one season (though I do notice that the Japanese changes their menu according to the season)! It wasn't like that in Australia and as a student then, all I cared about was my studies and had no time to think about nutrition. Instant noodles was a regular in my diet. But now, I don't even buy them anymore! After reading some of the information, I don't find it that hard to follow because as it is, some of the foods listed are already my favourites! I just have to know when to eat them and eat more. And now that I'm aware of my body constitution, I know what types of food I should pay more attention to. The hard part is making the conscientious effort to change my lifestyle. But I don't think I have a choice because I really don't enjoy catching colds all the time here. Let's hope that this will work because Western medicine really doesn't do anything!
If you're interested, have a look at these 2 links: http://www.shen-nong.com/eng/front/index.html http://leni.wordpress.com/tag/products-and-recipes/
Friday, October 27, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment