A teacher asked me whether I like being alone or with friends in our conversation. I replied, "Both!" to which he laughed as if it was an improper answer. It's true though. There are times when I'd rather be alone or times when I crave for people's company. I think it's a blessing to be able to like being by yourself. I wasn't always like that when I started to live overseas by myself. I feared loneliness and thought I should be ashamed of not being out with friends. But that was also the time when I couldn't find anyone I could really click with. I saw being alone as a failure to make friends. I was depressed.
Naturally we need friends. I swear I wouldn't have remained in Japan if I hadn't found a few good friends to hang out with. But I've also become much better at enjoying spending time by myself and doing the things I like alone. I still fear loneliness of course. I can think of few who don't. But we can learn how to be alone without being lonely as loneliness is a state of the mind, not physical. My time in Japan hasn't been a waste as it has taught me one such valuable lesson. I've learnt to value the time by myself very much...but not too much.
Thursday, October 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment