Saturday, October 21, 2006

My love affair

What has started off as a slight interest has developed into a love affair that until now I hadn't realised. This relationship has affected my life in profound ways but they have been so subtle and gradual. This relationship is also the foundation of one of my dreams.

It's the love affair that I have with many things associated with Japan: her language, her people & her culture. It has also evolved into a love-hate relationship as I get drawn deeper into it. It began five...nearly six years ago. I'd never have imagined the events that have taken place to happen when I first decided to take up Japanese for fun. Things like majoring in Japanese, falling in love, working in a Japanese company, teaching at a Japanese school and finally coming to Japan to work (& actually having gained the experience of working with a wide range of Japanese from the young to the old). I often answer people that I've been studying Japanese for almost six years now. But it would actually be more accurate to say that I've had a relationship with Japan for six years because I've done more than just studying the language. And I didn't even realise that until I just contemplated on it. It's a love affair that I'm neither eager to keep it a secret nor show it off. All I can say that it happened quite unexpectedly...perhaps like most great love stories? Like I've always thought, how funny it is that one thing can alter or affect your life so strongly.

What would it have been had I continued with French instead of taking up Japanese? It would perhaps be a more romantic love affair...haha. But if I were to have another chance to find it out in this lifetime, I definitely would.

No comments: