Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Sending the 3 nensei off

When spring arrives, it's time to send the 3 nensei off to their new life in senior high school. Like all the other AETs, I attended the graduation ceremony of the 3 nensei at my current school. We're lucky that it was a really warm beautiful day today as it was so cold yesterday and the day before. If Janet hadn't told me yesterday that I had to dress formal, I would have stuck out like a sore thumb because everyone was so dressed up! I don't understand why the school couldn't be bothered to tell me. But anyway... I dozed off many times during the ceremony because it was really formal and boring. It was as boring as my convocation and twice as formal. I lost count as to how many times we had to bow to the speakers. The students had to rise and bow probably three times more! I felt a little left out at the ceremony because I didn't know the songs they had to sing as I've never heard them before. And the speeches were so long and formal (in honorific Japanese) that I simply tuned off right at the beginning. Although I did cheer up when some of the 3 nensei boys came to look for me to take photos before they left the school.

No comments: