
April and I were going to volunteer at the Saitama Children's Home yesterday, an event organised by the AJET committee. But we never got there! We were looking for them at the meeting place at Omiya station, but didn't see any Caucasians or JET-looking people. It didn't help that I don't know who would be there. And April's memory of the president, Cody was fuzzy. So there we were going around the station staring at Caucasians and trying to see whether we can detect any JETness in them! Needless to say, we didn't find them and the train to the Home left. We weren't sure if it was cancelled and didn't know how to get there. It turned out that I made a mistake about the meeting place at the station. :( I certainly deserve the nickname crowned to me by my secondary school friends....So with no plans until the evening, we went out with Michael and his Japanese "friends" (2 people from the English speaking club in Urawa) for batting and bowling. I was trying to avoid the Japanese man as much as I could because he was smoking like a chimney! It was just 1 cigarette after another. Was trying hard not to breathe in and choke. And like most Japanese men, he wasn't good at striking up a more meaningful conversation (especially because he was trying to speak English) and asked us similar questions like my students will ask. Please refer to previous post. :p I've long resigned to the fact that although I can speak Japanese, I can't really click with most of the women or the men enough to be friends. Except for one period that I don't care to elaborate. Oh,batting was hard! I missed most of the balls, and some that I hit bounced back to hit my legs. Ouch! My arms and hands are still hurting from swinging the bat. And my posture in this picture is definitely not your typical baseball one. But I improved...:0 At the bowling center, we saw this very very small boy trying to bowl. His ball was so slow moving that the staff had to go retrieve it back so that his parents can play. hehe.
No comments:
Post a Comment