Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Visiting the little ones

My supervisor came to pick Ricky and me this morning to Oyama for an elementary school visit. This was my 2nd time visiting an elementary school here. Sadly, it's only a once in a blue moon thing happening these 2 months. I love visiting the elementary schools because it reminds me of the short period I spent teaching at the Japanese primary school in Singapore. I especially miss my Pri 4 students whom I love lots! Haha..but only the Pri 1 to 4 have my affection because once they turn 11, their attitude becomes bad and most of them tower over me! And that makes it hard for me to impose my authority and keep the class in order. We visited the third graders today, and they are as cute as I expected. It's amazing how even the little things we say and do amused them. Or how they kept amusing each other in class. That's what I love about kids. They were so eager to shake hands with us and send us both to the principal's office when the class ended. We had an entourage of kids following behind us. I hope that the BOE can organise more of these visits for me!
There's something wrong with my camera, as most of my photos turned out to be very unfocused. What's happening?!

I was really glad to go back to my school after lunch to find out that Weird Teacher wasn't around this afternoon. Which meant that I didn't have to suffer his nonsensical teaching and rowdy classes! Going back home was a dread today because it's been raining the whole day. I cut a lone figure in my blue raincoat as I wheeled my bike and walked home in the rain. I wasn't in the mood to cycle in the rain today because my face always gets so wet from it. Many Japanese, looking perfectly dry with their umbrella in one hand (without a raincoat) and cycling at the same time, stared at me as I walked past solemnly. They must be wondering why I'm wearing a raincoat and wheeling my bike instead of riding it. Well, I would really love to cycle back too, but too bad I don't have your dexterous skill at keeping dry!

P.S An earthquake happened while I was writing this. The earth had been giving warning signs lately as it trembled softly many times this week.

No comments: