Monday, February 06, 2006

In a mood for murder

Think it's going to snow tonight until the next morning. Guess I should wake up much earlier tomorrow as I may have to walk to school. Not sure that I can trust myself to ride in the snow. I'm not sure why but I'm quite scared of riding my bike recently. There's a bad feeling hanging around that I can't shake off. Hopefully, it's just a case of paranoia.

The neutral feelings towards Weird Teacher have definitely faded to bring in the rage I have towards him. Every time I step into his classes now, I feel like murdering him. His students are learning rubbish! All he's done is just making me read a crappy listening test that he made (which is full of grammatical mistakes) slowly three times and clap and say "Grrrr..good!!" when the students get the answers right, as if his test is high on the IQ level. And later on, he'll send me alone to another room to have a conversation with the students row by row. I've realised that the 3 nensei in this school can barely understand English, not even the simple Q&As they should have learned in first grade. I assume that when I'm gone, he's just standing at the back of the class letting the students talk as they want and joke with them. Because that's all I usually see him doing. No wonder most of his students aren't interested in and very poor at English. I thought the English level at the other schools were pretty bad, but it's worse here. I hate it that such a teacher can actually continue with his bad teaching while the school does nothing about it. What's going to happen to the students' future when they graduate from junior high school? Even if English isn't important in Japan, students shouldn't be made to waste their time in class. And a good teacher can definitely instill some motivation in learning.

According to Janet, he said he doesn't like teaching and prefers the quiet students who don't like to participate so that he doesn't have to teach much. What the ......!! How can an adult that's responsible for the academic future of so many children be like that? Even though teaching isn't a long term career I'm carving out for myself, I still have my students' best interest at heart. And yet a permanent teacher can short-change his students like that. I feel so demoralised when I'm teaching with him. But as an assistant English teacher, I can only suppress my feelings and bear with it.

No comments: