Monday, May 01, 2006

Having second thoughts

I wonder if I'm too friendly with the students. Sometimes I ought to draw a line because this is a job after all and there are work ethics to follow. We've (AETs) never been briefed on where we should draw a line regarding the relationship with our students. But common sense tells me that it should still be a professional relationship no matter how well we get along. Being kids, my students sometimes don't seem to know where to draw the line.

I'm slightly worried over the matter of Ikeda-kun. He's too friendly with me and follows me around too much recently. He keeps asking me when I have time to talk to him after school and looks disappointed whenever I say I'm going for table tennis practice. He caught me at a bad time (and that was probably like the 3rd/4th time he came up to me today!) when I was rushing for club practice and somehow I got myself into an "appointment" with him next week. He didn't even ask me. He just named the day and I found myself nodding unconsciously so that I could go for my practice. It was too late to say "No" by the time I realised it! I believe he's harmless but his obsession (maybe?) with me doesn't seem very healthy. Sigh.

No comments: