Sunday, May 28, 2006

"Wandering" contradiction

Whenever Janet says that she's really glad to be going back to Canada, I can't help but feel a tinge of envy. I wish I could feel the same about going home when the time comes. Instead, I'm dreading it. While I'm still here, I can't help but worry about where I should go next. Should I stay here and get a job in Japan after my contract ends or study/work in another country? I prefer the latter, but I need a lot of money or new opportunities. The easiest way out is not to think and just pack and go home. But that is only a temporary measure because I know very soon that I would feel the urge to leave Singapore.

Some information about the (new) female AET has arrived. She's a Caucasian (guessing from her name..unless her mum isn't one, which would make her something else) from the UK. Only 21 years old....so young! But she has more overseas experience than me...having studied in Germany, Singapore, Hongkong, Australia etc. And again, I'm envious! I'm such a contradiction. I really want to live overseas and yet at the same time, I'm rather tired of having to move from one country to another (Australia - Singapore - Japan - ???) and not really belonging anywhere. I long to just settle down in a place. The place that I can easily settle down forever is my birthplace, but ironically that is the last place I want to be in for the rest of my life.

No comments: