Friday, May 26, 2006

Making sense

Watching DVDs is one of my ways of keeping in touch with the "non-Japanese" world. It also makes me temporarily forget that I'm in Japan when I'm engrossed in the films. I'd never been much of a movie fan, but current circumstances have changed me. Now, I always look forward to going to the rental store and choosing the movies I want to watch. It saves me from watching Japanese TV which started to bore me after a few months. It's too bad that I didn't sign up for cable. I used to follow Japanese dramas faithfully back home...but not anymore. Now that I keep seeing Japanese TV programs, I desire for English shows. Japanese TV sometimes don't make any sense to me.

On the topic of making sense, I've just watched "Sense & Sensibility", a very delightful film indeed! Hah.... sounding quite English here. Been watching a few British films recently, I guess. My favourite scene is when Elinor burst out crying in front of everyone when she found out that Edward isn't married. Such raw and honest feelings coming from someone who had surpressed her emotions for so long. All it takes is just that one scene to know the extent of her feelings. It says more than any words could say. I really felt for her moment of raw vulnerability. It was incredibly touching yet funny at the same time.

No comments: