Friday, January 06, 2006

Do I look like an alien?

Ohhhh, it's really really really very very cold today. Riding my bike is a huge hassle now because my fingers hurt a lot from the cold even though I'm wearing gloves. I should go buy a pair of skiing gloves soon.

Anyway, non-Japanese who are working here all have to register for a foreigner's card, which is called the 'alien card' in Japan. It's kind of offensive to all foreigners to be called aliens, but it can be funny as well. Usually I'll just make a joke out of it when I tell my friends back home about it. But it's true that I'm looked upon as an alien by the people at the BOE (Board of Education) whenever I go there. AETs go to the BOE to "work" when we don't have to teach at the schools. This week, I had to go to the BOE. And whenever I went there in the mornings, the BOE staff (except my supervisor) would look surprised to see me. Then their surprised looks would turn wary when I say "Ohayo gozaimasu". As if I'm going to do something strange to them.... Janet feels the same way too, except they are always amused by everything that comes out of her mouth. Even a simple "Happy New Year!" from her drew amused expressions from them. The Japanese at the BOE probably think that foreigners come from outer space. We're not one of them, but just something that's interesting for them to look at. Or be afraid of because we're different.

In turn, I don't talk much to them. They can be nice when I need help from them. But Japanese are usually very polite people anyway. (Although I have to stress that NOT ALL Japanese are like what I've described. There are really nice Japanese too.) I always feel guilty when I walk past their desks to go back to the AETs' room (a room where they store their computer servers). Because we have absolutely nothing to do at the BOE. And that's not our choice. The BOE knows we have nothing to do, but expects us to be there anyway. So when I see the Japanese working hard outside, I feel guilty for just reading a book, studying Japanese or talking to my AET colleagues for the whole day. I try to make myself as invisible as possible.

I'm just glad that the schools reopen the next week. Although my current school is not as friendly as the first. But that's still better than the BOE.

No comments: