Saturday, January 21, 2006

It's WHITE but not Christmas!

In a Christmas holiday season movie, you would usually see a kid jumping out of bed and running to the window excitedly, only to yell out in wonder and joy. It happened to me this morning, except that it wasn't Xmas, I'm not a kid anymore, and I got up in my usual style (I only jump when I'm late for work). :0 I walked to the verandah window and gasped in shock and joy. Around me, I was covered with a blanket of snow and big snowflakes were falling incessantly from the dark, gray sky. It's as if someone had moved my apartment into a different world..a world of postcards glorifying Japan's beauty in winter. I knew it's going to snow today, but I didn't expect it to be this much and so beautiful. Despite knowing that I'm going to be late for my Japanese lesson, I rushed to get my camera and went out to the verandah in my pyjamas.

Before leaving the house, I called Janet to ask if I should wear my raincoat as I'm really clueless when it comes to experiences with snow. I piled on my clothes and went out excitedly, determined to share my joy with my Japanese teacher. But I never got to it. I wobbled on my bike hesitantly with the heavy snowflakes falling on my face & into my eyes, icy and wet, and turned back after just a few metres down the road. I couldn't ride in this snow! Not unless I want to die or break something today! Janet had warned me on the phone, but I wanted to try anyway. Eventually,I called my teacher on my mobile and cancelled the class. If my Japanese neighbours were to look out their windows, they would see me shivering, clumsily holding my wet camera trying to take pictures at different corners with my gloves (I was putting and taking them on and off as my hands were turning icy cold and it was difficult to take pictures with them on). I'm glad that I bought a waterproof camera because I knew this day was going to come!

Still unable to contain my excitement, I walked to Janet's place and rang her door bell twice. She was barely out of bed and was talking to her mum on the phone. She was sleepy eyed and surprised to see me. It tickled her to see me in my state, excited and covered with snow. Janet's from Canada and a day like this hardly surprised her.

I still can't help peeking out the window several times to gape at the sight of falling snowflakes. Unlike the rain, you can look up at the sky and look at them falling down. It doesn't feel real and it feels like many people are up there showering snowflakes down with their bare hands. Right now, I'm experiencing the fleeting but wonderful nature of Nature itself. こんな雪を経験できるなんて素晴らしい、、、来てよかったなぁ。

No comments: